Marlborough Literature Festival 2018 Events
27 – 30 September
Tickets are on sale now.
- This event has passed.
The Marlborough Booker
September 30, 2018 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm£10.00
The Man Booker Prize is probably the most prestigious prize in English literature, this year celebrating its 50th anniversary. Many of you may have read about, or even taken part in, the public vote organised by the Booker Prize Foundation to find the Golden Booker from a shortlist of five novels selected – one for each decade – by judges.
We’ve decided not just to accept the public vote but to choose our own Booker. We finish this year’s festival with a panel of five people to find the Marlborough Booker. Each panel member will choose one of the novels which has won the Booker over the past 50 years and propose it as the most- deserving overall winner. Whether you’ve read them all or not, join us on Sunday 30th at 6.30pm in the Town Hall and enjoy a free glass of wine during what is bound to be a fascinating and entertaining debate – let’s see what ‘The Marlborough Booker’ will be!
– Debby Guest of the White Horse Bookshop who has chosen Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively.
– Philip Cayford QC, a longtime supporter of the LitFest, who has selected Life of Pi by Yann Martel.
– David Roth-Ey, Editor at Forth Estate who has decided on a book from his own stable (but in my opinion a very strong runner), Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.
– Hugo Tinley, English master at Marlborough College who has chosen Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.
– Katie Hickman, best selling novelist and historian. She lives in London but has local connections in the town. She is currently deciding on her Marlborough Booker nomination.